Kauri Flats

General Curriculum Information 

…Transdisciplinary Curriculum…

Our developing transdisciplinary curriculum is inspired by the Reggio Emilia philosophy and dovetailing with STEM/Digital  Technologies, delivers learning that builds upon the interests of the students.  At Kauri Flats our curriculum connects different areas of study by cutting across subject lines and emphasising unifying concepts. Our UC4L Curriculum focuses on making connections for students by allowing them to engage in relevant and meaningful learning experiences that can be connected to real life, because a real life context gives students a reason to learn.

Why a Transdisciplinary curriculum?

Our philosophy is about listening to, noticing and responding to students so we can best prepare them for their future, we do this in a way that encourages and develops ‘unrelenting curiosity for learning’. A transdisciplinary curriculum enables us to do just that.

'In turn, the design of each school’s curriculum should allow teachers the scope to make interpretations in response to the particular needs, interests, and talents of individuals and groups of students in their classes (NZC, pg37).’

At Kauri Flats School we believe that every student deserves the best opportunities to succeed both academically and socially. By listening to and responding to our students we ensure our learners needs are met.  This approach to learning not only inspires and engages but also offers our students the best possible learning/life experiences through nurturing growth, encouraging development, supporting effort, recognising achievements, challenging viewpoints, guiding progress, growing ideas and instilling values.  This philosophy also allows student voice to be heard and student led learning to be grown throughout the school through project/curriculum interest

Junior School – Curriculum Explorers

Middle School – UC4L Explorers

Senior School – UC4L

These areas are still growing and developing as we enter our second year and as they grow so does our students learning and the impact our teachers have on both social and academic growth.