Kauri Flats

2018 sees the school rebrand and redesign our STEM/Digital Technologies model and ensure this is integrated within all learning areas, for all learners and not just science focused as can so easily be done.  Our students will be part of a wide variety of projects ranging from environmental sciences to service projects involving/supporting the community.

We believe that subjects shouldn't be stand alone and the skills learnt in one subject area should be transferred across other learning areas too as the New Zealand Curriculum was designed to do. 

STEM is a curriculum based on the idea of educating students in four specific disciplines — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — in an interdisciplinary and applied approach.  The STEM principles align perfectly with our curriculum.  However we don't believe this should sit in isolation and should be a part of the ongoing development of our students learning and broaden their horizons offering them another tool to aid their learning.

We are currently in the process of redesigning the Stanford Design Thinking Model to suit the needs of all of our learners.  The aim is to develop the model so it is purposeful for our juniors through to our seniors.  This replaces the many areas for students to become confused over (especially in the lower years). Our senior school teachers are trailing their own model and unpacking this with our students.  The design model has been broken down into three disciplines: 

D - Design
M - Make
A- Appraise